Sunday, March 2, 2008

Arigato Japanese Restaurant

City: La Mesa

Address: 5575 Baltimore Drive Suite 110, La Mesa, CA 91942

Food type: Japanese

Price range/person: $10-15

Wait time: 5 minutes

Service: Rushed, confused.

Ambiance: Cafeteria-like, mismatched, bright. Ceiling fluorescent lights were much too bright and furniture (tables and chairs) did not match.

Dish Focus On:

Pork Cutlet Bento Box,
with fried dumplings, mixed tempura, rice and salad

Couldn't tell at first if meat was pork or chicken. Tempura and dumplings adequate. Salad fresh, but there was either a stray olive or pickled grape mixed in - couldn't tell what it was (see bottom left corner of salad box).

Caterpillar roll -
California roll with eel and topped with avocado

Sushi was good. Not bad, but not the best.

Oyako Don -
chicken, vegetables and egg over rice

This dish was an AWFUL mistake. Upon first bite, I thought the chicken and rice were much too salty. I thought it was not mixed properly, so after mixing thoroughly, I gave it another shot. Then, I knew something was wrong. Oyako Don typically has a slightly sweet goodness, but this dish was all salt. I mentioned to the waitress that the entree was too salty. Before I could even finish my complaint, she already knew what I was going to say, as if this complaint was reoccurring. Later, another waitress came out and told me that the cooks had prepared the sauce incorrectly. It seems to me that they used salt where they should have used sugar. GROSS! So, they took away my food mishap and asked me to order a new item.

Salmon skin salad

Vegetables were fresh and crunchy, but salmon pieces were again too salty, and the skin was so thick and hard that I could not chew them.

Yummmy Factor: 2.5/5


Yummmy Rambles: Initial impression upon entering restaurant was already poor – lighting was way too bright and open Valentine heart candies were sitting in a dish by the door. Seating arrangement was odd – our table was the only one in the middle of the room; other tables lined the walls. Food was inappropriately prepared (Oyako Don) and I was forced to order something new. No discount was given for restaurant’s mistake. Parking is limited. Would not go back again. Oddly enough, restaurant was full for dinner – but I’m really not sure why. Maybe this was an off night?

No comments: